Sunday, January 17, 2010

RockTown Ga...







After leaving a snowy, blustery Boone on Tuesday evening, I arrived at RockTown around midnight that evening. There seemed to be practically no one in the campground which for me is somewhat of an anomaly, however, having only been around for college breaks and on the weekends this soon made more sense. After relaxing with a cold beer Luna and I bundled up and crawled into the truck. On the upside, there is NO snow in Ga but the first few evenings were brutally cold and it was certainly difficult to sleep through the night. Daniel and Kristen pulled up to the campground as I was waking up on Wednesday and we got to go rock climbing! This was Daniel and Kristen's first time to this area and I'll have to say that they had an impressive first week at RockTown. Kristen completed many, many rock climbs during our stay sending some impressive stuff, including her first v6 boulder problem and what I understand to be her second V7 after sending "Morning Star" earlier in the trip at Rumbling Bald, NC. Daniel absolutely tore up RockTown completing nearly every climb I saw him get on within a few tries, many on his first try! This was around our third night in the area and we decided to celebrate with some beverages and woke up to a very overcast day on Saturday. As a group we decided this would be a good rest day and headed into the bustling town of LaFayette, Ga. After some Hardee's and very hot, free showers, courtesy of the LaFayette recreation department Daniel and Kristen retired to the car while I decided to try my luck at the rocks, wet or not. It ended up that Luna and I had the entire boulderfield to ourselves for the remainder of the day. It was great, I didn't realize quite how spoiled we are in Boone to be able to climb in relative peace and quiet, apart from the beta-spewing, chest thumping Bro's and Bro-ette's we encountered during busier days at the crag. My solitary day at the rocks proved to be one of my best climbing days in a long time and I completed several climbs that were on my list for this leg of the journey. Then it rained... after spending this morning reading at Hardee's for three or so hours Kristen, Daniel and I met up and are now in Chatty chillin' at a coffee shop escaping the rain. I'm looking outside at the dog and she looks rather pissed... Understandably so, however, this is definately not the fun part of the roadtrip. Three movies, 14 hours of sleeping, and damp gear are not so glamorous. Hopefully LRC for climbing on Monday and Tuesday before we make another travel decision. I hope things are going well in Boone, we miss all of you! Obviously I'm not too blog savvy but here are some assorted pictures and a video from RockTown!

No comments:

Post a Comment